Monday, September 9

Prabal Gurung Spring/Summer 2014



I had heard so much about this collection from various people on Tumblr, everyone was talking about Prabal Gurung, and it was mostly due to the fact that there were obvious influences in his collection from international designers such as Raf Simons for Christian Dior.

I have to admit that I do not hate this collection. There is nothing particularly innovative nor distasteful about this collection however it did get people talking about Prabal Gurung and although this may be fairly negative publicity, publicity is still publicity. I've never really paid much attention to Prabal Gurung as a designer because I do not feel his work constitutes what I value most about fashion which is progression and independence. While I'm glad for his extremely successful dependency on mass appeal, Gurung is in my opinion one of those designers who just make pretty clothes.

In the late 1960s a system known as "line for line" was introduced as couturiers sent their original designs abroad to be copied by retail stores for a fee. This relationship was most notably developed between the fashion industry's of Paris and New York.

In the same way, Gurung's collection was perhaps a "line for line" inspired homage to the some of the world's most coveted brands and labels - an homage to the Raf Simons' of the world.

After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Images are from style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment